Winter Warmer Butternut & Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 ½ cup white onion, chopped
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 500g sweet potato, washed and chopped
- 1kg butternut, peeled and diced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Handful of fresh coriander to garnish
1. In a large skillet, warm the coconut oil over medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onion and a pinch of salt.
3. Cook, until the onion has softened and become translucent.
4. Remove ½ cup of onion and set aside.
5. Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, and cayenne pepper and cook until fragrant. Keep stirring.
6. Then add the sweet potato and butternut and mix them together.
7. Add 4 cups of vegetable broth and gently simmer over medium heat, covered, for 1 hour 30 minutes until all the vegetables are soft.
8. If the water is not covering the vegetables, just add a little more vegetable broth.
9. Transfer the soaked cashews, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of vegetable stock to your blender and blend on high speed until smooth and creamy.
10. Add the cooked vegetables and a few twists of freshly ground black pepper and blend until smooth.
11. If you would like to thin out your soup a bit more, stir in a little more vegetable broth. Season to taste.
12. Serve immediately, with fresh coriander and spared cooked onion.