Veggie & Tofu Stir-fry
Since a lockdown was imposed in South Africa to stop the spread of COVID-19, in Cape Town, where I have lived for 4 years, the silence is both striking and palpable. In a place where the population normally loves to connect, touch, speak, dance and sing, the lack of sound seems to weigh on the land. From my open door, in the outskirt of the city, I no longer see passerby or ear the loud roaring sound of an engine. Even the emergency sirens of police cars seem to have ceased. And on the rare occasions when I venture outside to buy some essentials, the streets just feel sterile, scentless and empty. But something beautiful has happened…Into this void of city sounds so many amazing virtual performances, workouts, cooking programs and culture have been created. Each of us is reaching out from the silence of our confinement to someone else in the quietness of their home. Today, I am sharing one of my favourite recipes with you: Veggie & Tofu Stir-fry. Check it out below:<3 <3 <3 Hit reply, I'd love to hear from you.
1 pack of cooked King Soba Buckwheat Noodles @ kingsobanoodleculture
A big handful of blanched baby spinach (Throw spinach in boiling water for one minute, drain them and dump into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking immediately)
350g extra-firm tofu
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
4 green onions, thinly sliced
4 mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 big clove garlic, finely minced
3 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp fish sauce
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp sesame oil
Sesame seeds, for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
Big handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped for garnish
1. Wrap tofu in an absorbent towel. Set something heavy on top to press out extra moisture for 5 minutes.
2. Unwrap tofu and cut into small cubes, then add 1 tbsp of sesame oil to a cast iron skillet over medium heat, followed by the tofu and sauté for 5 minutes until it has begun to brown on all sides. Set aside.
3. Next, add 1 tbsp of sesame oil to the pan and sauté all the veggies for 2-3 minutes until softened.
4. Add the garlic, tamari, fish sauce, lemon and sugar and cook for another minute.
5. Add your noodles and tofu, stir well, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and coriander. Serve warm and send me some telepathic jubilation!
Veggie & Tofu Stir-fry