Vegan Beetroot Falafels
200g chickpeas, soaked in water overnight
200g beetroot, cooked and cut into small chunks
1 medium red onion, roughly chopped
1 large clove of garlic, finely grated
125g fresh coriander, chopped
125g fresh parsley, chopped
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp paprika
1 tsp sumac
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
sea salt and pepper, to taste
½ tsp baking powder
250g ground almonds
¼ cup olive oil
1. Put the chickpeas, beetroot, onion, garlic, coriander and parsley into a food processor. Blend until the mixture is combined but still slightly chunky.
2. Add the lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, coriander, paprika, sumac, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Pulse the mixture a few times to combine.
3. Transfer the chickpea mixture to a bowl and mix in the baking powder and almonds.
4. Place the mixture in the fridge and allow to firm up for at least an hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 190 °C and grease a baking sheet.
6. Wet your hands and form small balls of the mixture, each ball should consist of about 2 tablespoons of the mixture.
7. Place the falafels onto a baking sheet and brush each one with olive oil.
8. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the falafels are golden brown and done.