Hi! Happy Saturday! Currently swamped with work deadlines so keeping it brief, but I wanted to share this “Pupas Revisited’ recipe with you. Have a great weekend! <3 <3 <3 Hit reply, I'd love to hear from you.
For the filling:
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp tamari
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp harissa paste
2 medium carrots, grated
1 cup dry red lentils
2 1/2 cup veggie broth
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups brown gluten-free flour
1 cup cornflour
1 tbsp Nomu Spanish rub
1/2 tsp Himalyan salt
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cup warm water
1. Add olive oil to a cast iron skillet over medium heat, followed by onion and garlic, sauté for 5 minutes until fragrant.
2. Next, add cumin, turmeric, paprika, tamari, lemon juice and harissa paste, stir well.
3. Throw in the carrots, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the lentils, cook for 1 minute.
5. Add your veggie broth, bring to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer until the lentils are cooked, approximately 20-25 minutes (I like them al dente, so I only cook them for 15 minutes). Add salt & Pepper to taste.
6. In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, oil, Spanish rub and salt until well combined.
7. Add warm water and mix as you go. Keep kneading the dough until it becomes soft and pliable (if the dough feels too dry add a little water, if too wet, add more flour).
8. Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface until about 1/2 cm thick, then cut out circular disks (it should make approximately 20).
9. Transfer half of the disks onto a working surface dusted with flour, then add your filling in the middle of each disk.
10. Cover with the leftover disks, then gently but firmly press the edges of the pupusas to seal (I used a fork to make them look prettier!).
11. Add coconut oil to a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the pupusas until brown spots appear on the bottom and they start looking dry, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Keep them warm in the oven until all of them are cooked. Serve hot with a tomato salsa.
2 thoughts on “Pupusas Revisited”
What brand of gluten free flour do you use?
Hi Meesha, I use Health Connection Wholefoods <3